Faculty Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Service Worker (post level 18)
Job ID: 2684
Duties and responsibilities:
- Clean the first year chemistry laboratory on South Campus.
- Perform general housekeeping duties in said facilities.
- Clean up chemical spills and broken glassware.
- Prepare the laboratory for practicals.
- Handle large quantities of chemicals.
- Oversee students using laboratory equipment.
- Remove chemical waste from above mentioned labs.
- Assist Professional Officers to set-up and unpack the equipment of graduate students.
- Assist with any additional moving of furniture and cleaning as needed by the Department.
- Grade 10
- Be able to judge risks and take adequate measures when dealing with chemicals.
- Good communication skills and the ability to function with ease in the University’s richly diverse working environment.
- Ability to work under pressure when necessary.
- Good physical strength.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work accurate.
- Ability to interact with students.
- Three 3 months’ experience working in a laboratory environment.
Assumption of duties:
1 April 2019
08 March 2019
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 9161/3687/3934.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications may be submitted at University of the Free State, George du Toit Building, Human Resources Department (Reception: Room S201).
All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter.
- Copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications).
- A copy of your identity document (ID).
The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Applications that are incomplete or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.